Due to the changing needs of the construction industry, SAIT’s Construction Management Certificate of Achievement will be discontinued as of December 2022. Beginning Winter 2023, SAIT will be offering our Fundamentals of Construction Management Certificate of Achievement. This new certificate will retain the following four (4) courses: CNST 003 - Reading Plans and Specifications, CODE 105 - Building Codes, CIVL 101 - Introduction to Contracts, and SFTY 103 - Construction Safety with the addition of CNST 014 - Introduction to High Performance Homes, and PROJ 020 - Project Management Essentials.
For those students currently working towards the Certificate and would like to complete it, please contact advising ASAP to ensure you will be able to enroll in the courses you need for completion.
Advising contact: ConEdadvising@sait.ca or Call: 1-888-284-7051
In the construction industry, there's a growing demand for trained management and leadership professionals. If you're employed in the field, the online Construction Management Certificate of Achievement provides the technical and managerial skills for advancement in residential or commercial construction.
This program includes five foundational courses followed by four courses in either a residential or commercial stream.
Upon completion of this Certificate, participants will be able to:
- Read and interpret blueprints
- Apply fundamental principles, processes and tools in construction project management
- Describe standard building design methods and materials for site preparation and construction
- Identify and comply with building code regulations, bylaws and permit requirements
- Understand legal concepts, basic negotiation tactics and risks involved with construction contracts
- Identify sustainable building practices, compliance standards and types of certification programs
- Understand health, safety, and building code governance and assessments for construction projects and prepare a workplace safety plan
- Understand the purpose and principles behind construction estimating, including cost controls and feasibility budgets
- Prepare useful technical documentation and written communication
This program will prepare you for career opportunities as an entry-level manager, trades supervisor, or estimator in the construction industry.
Professional designation and certifications
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students by SAIT upon the successful completion of this program.
Individual courses and/or the full certificate have been approved for education and training credits/hours towards the following industry certifications and/or designations:
- Blue Seal Certificate
- Gold Seal Certifications
- Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS)
- Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS)
- Construction Estimator Certified (CEC)
This program is eligible for funding through the Canada Alberta Job Grant (CAJG).