As the needs of industry change, so do our programs — it’s what makes SAIT a global leader in applied education. The Graphic Design Certificate is currently being revised to better align with changing industry standards. The revised courses will be available as completed.
From magazines and billboards to packaging and snowboards, print media is everywhere. Using the most recent software, you'll learn page layout and design, graphic manipulation and how to work as a contractor or consultant. You'll receive quality training from experienced instructors who are active in the industry.
Students must take eight courses to complete the program — seven mandatory and one elective.
Upon successful completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- Design corporate logos, colour palette selection, type symbols, branding elements and stationary
- Create shapes, using Bezier drawing tools, creating patterns, layers and the use of colour
- Learn unique capabilities of Adobe InDesign and how to apply to graphic design and publishing industries
- Use Photoshop to create images for print and online media
- Use Photoshop in advanced image correction, image manipulation, compositing and illustration
- Learn colour theory, page design, type setting structure and steps necessary to plan a production job from concept to completion
- Create masterful graphics for a broad range of media
This program is eligible for funding through the Canada Alberta Job Grant (CAJG) program.
Skills learned in this program can be applied to careers in advertising, marketing, package design, book cover design, UX/UI design, web design, logo design, photo editing, video game design and much more.
Expect to start at the entry level and as you gain experience and with additional education your career opportunities will expand. Use the following Job Market Outlook tool as a starting point to explore your career options.