As one of the largest sectors of the Canadian economy, the construction industry is currently facing a shortage of professionally trained construction estimators. Whether you're an experienced estimator looking to gain confidence in your skills with professional credentials or are new to the field, SAIT's Construction Estimating Certificate will prepare you for success. Developed and taught by industry experts, this program emphasizes real-world skills, practice, and tools.
Learn how to analyze costs and prepare precise estimates for all construction projects in commercial and residential sectors, civil engineering and specific trades. Upon completing the program, you will have the knowledge, communication and technical skills to interpret and quantify information in construction contract documents to deliver accurate construction project estimates.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Understand quantities and measurements and general construction practices used in the construction industry
- Interpret blueprints
- Analyze a complete project scope through contract documents
- Develop accurate take-offs
- Use spreadsheet applications for estimation
- Demonstrate research techniques for industry-specific information
- Plan and schedule construction projects
- Deliver precise estimates
- Interact effectively in written, verbal, and interpersonal environments
This program will prepare you for career opportunities as an entry-level manager, supervisor or estimator in the construction industry.
Professional designation and certifications
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students by SAIT upon the successful completion of this program.
Courses in this certificate have been approved for education and training credits towards the following certifications:
- Blue Seal Certification
- Gold Seal Certification
- Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS)
- Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS)
- Construction Estimator Certified (CEC)
This program is eligible for funding through the Canada Alberta Job Grant (CAJG).