As one of the largest sectors of the Canadian economy, the construction industry is currently facing a shortage of professionally trained construction estimators. Whether you're an experienced estimator looking to gain confidence in your skills with professional credentials or are new to the field, SAIT's Construction Estimating Certificate will prepare you for success. Developed and taught by industry experts, this program emphasizes real-world skills, practice and tools.
Learn how to analyze costs and prepare precise estimates for all construction projects in commercial and residential sectors, civil engineering and specific trades. Upon completing the program, you will have the knowledge, communication and technical skills to interpret and quantify information in construction contract documents to deliver accurate construction project estimates.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Understand quantities and measurements and general construction practices used in the construction industry
- Interpret blueprints
- Analyze a complete project scope through contract documents
- Develop accurate take-offs
- Use spreadsheet applications for estimation
- Demonstrate research techniques for industry-specific information
- Plan and schedule construction projects
- Deliver precise estimates
- Interact effectively in written, verbal and interpersonal environments
Professional designation and certifications
A Certificate of Achievement is awarded to students by SAIT upon the successful completion of this program.
Individual courses and/or the full certificate have been approved for education and training credits/hours towards the following industry certifications and/or designations:
- Blue Seal Certificate
- Gold Seal Certifications
- Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS)
- Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS)
- Construction Estimator Certified (CEC)
This program is eligible for funding through the Canada Alberta Job Grant (CAJG).
This program will prepare you for career opportunities as an entry-level manager, supervisor or estimator in the construction industry.
The following widget gives you an idea of the job market for those with Construction Estimating training and experience. Your career path could require experience and possibly additional education. Search the widget by geographical area for more Job Market statistics. This is real time data so as the economy shifts so will the job market outlook.