EMRG 003 - Advanced Emergency Response
Advanced Emergency Response focuses on training required to work in the field of prehospital care as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). Topics covered include ambulance operations, patient assessment, management of trauma and medical emergency situations, mental and physical fitness, as well as professional requirements to become an EMR. This course also prepares you to apply for the provincial EMR designation through Alberta College of Paramedics.
The course combines online-managed self-study of theoretical concepts with mandatory classroom lab days which include lecture and practical components. You will be required to complete pre-course work online leading up to the first in-person lab.
Note: Registration for this course closes seven days prior to course start date.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- explain the components of, and requirements for the emergency medical services (EMS) profession.
- explain the ethical and legal responsibilities specific to an emergency medical responder (EMR).
- manage patient care.
- administer medications according to the guidelines outlined in the Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Scope of Practice.
- use professional communication techniques with colleagues, patients and transition of care to other health providers.
- manage a multiple casualty incident (MCI).
- define the equipment and vehicle operation requirements to function as an emergency medical responder (EMR) in the community.
- exhibit physical strength and fitness consistent with the requirements of emergency medical responder (EMR) practice.
- define strategies to maintain mental health.
- demonstrate interpersonal communication skills appropriate to the setting.
You’ll receive a completion card upon successfully completing the (PDIC) Professional Driver Improvement Course which is covered in this course. The completion card is valid for one year. To request a course outline, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
EMRG-001 Emergency Response Fundamentals is a mandatory prerequisite for this course. EMRG-001 is also a prerequisite to participate in the 16-hour Ride Along which you must complete no later than the end date of the third/last course you take toward EMR Certificate Program
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Emergency Medical Responder Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses