Our 36-hour Building Codes course will familiarize you with policies and procedures involving land use bylaws, municipal regulations, the national building code, the provincial building code and fire codes that affect construction projects.
With a hands-on learning approach, you’ll assess a proposed development for its compliance with the Calgary Land Use Bylaw, while gaining knowledge about the development permit and appeals process in Calgary. You’ll learn how to apply both the national and Alberta building code to determine whether specifications meet compliance and you’ll be able to summarize the provincial regulations regarding street use and waste material.
All course materials are included and accessible in the Brightspace (D2L) learning platform from your personal computer.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date.
Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- assess a proposed development for its compliance with the Calgary Land Use Bylaw
- describe the process for obtaining a development permit in Calgary
- apply the National Building Code (NBC) to determine if the specifications in a project comply with the NBC requirements
- determine if the specifications in a project comply with National Building Codes–Alberta Edition [NBC(AE)] requirements
- summarize the Alberta Building Code regulations regarding street use and waste material.
You’ll demonstrate your skill and knowledge acquisition through unit tests and two assignments. This online course is structured and guided. All coursework must be completed as per the course schedule and no later than the course end date.
To request a course outline, contact ConEdAdvising@sait.ca
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of B or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Principles of Construction Management Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses