This course describes two types of prime movers, internal combustion engines and gas turbines. Learn about the components, construction and operation of each type of driver. Start-up procedures and operational problems are described, along with maintenance requirements. Learn about the operating principle of a simple gas turbine and the advantages and disadvantages inherent in their use.
Earn a Micro-Credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of B- (70%) or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge. Learn more.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss methods of classifying internal combustion engines and the diesel engine
- Describe engines and turbines
- Describe the components and operation of internal combustion engines
- Describe the components and operation of gas turbines
- Describe the operating principle of a simple gas turbine, its uses in industry and the advantages and disadvantages inherent in their use