In this course, you'll explore two types of prime movers including internal combustion engines and gas turbines. You'll learn about the components, construction and operation of each type of driver. You'll also gain an understanding of start-up procedures and operational problems along with maintenance requirements. Learn about the operating principle of a simple gas turbine as you explore the advantages and disadvantages inherent in their use.
Earn a Micro-Credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of B- (70%) or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge. Learn more.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- discuss methods of classifying internal combustion engines and the diesel engine
- describe engines and turbines
- describe the components and operation of internal combustion engines
- describe the components and operation of gas turbines
- describe the operating principle of a simple gas turbine, its uses in industry and the advantages and disadvantages inherent in their use.