PROJ 020 - Project Management Essentials
Learn essential concepts and principles for successful project management. Based on the latest version of the Project Management Institute’s (PMI’s) A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), discover the 12 Principles of Project Management and the key tools and templates you need to know to initiate, plan, execute and close a project. In addition, learn how project managers can deliver value through effective leadership and communication.
This course may be used toward educational prerequisites for attaining PMI certifications or toward professional development units (PDUs) to maintain certifications.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date.
"PMBOK" is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of A- (80%) or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge. Learn more.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and explain essential concepts, terms and principles in project management, including the purpose of project management, the role of an effective project manager, the 12 Principles of Project Management, and the eight Project Performance Domains;
- Identify and explain key concepts in project initiation, including the project life cycle and the spectrum of delivery approaches from predictive to agile;
- Define and create essential documents to support project initiation, including a Project Charter, Stakeholder Analysis and Project Communication Plan;
- Develop the essential elements of a project plan and project planning documents, including Requirements Lists, Scope Statements and Work Breakdown Structures;
- Guide your project through execution using the project management plan while managing change and implementing risk contingency plan;
- Track and report progress to key stakeholders through effective tracking and communication procedures, techniques and documentation;
- Explain the essential components and artifacts of project close-out, including formal acceptance, the Close-out Report and a Lessons-learned;
- Describe the basic elements of Agile Project Management.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Applied Management Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses
- Electrical Design Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses
- Principles of Construction Management Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses
- Project Management Certificate of Completion : Required Courses