This 24-hour lab-based mixing and mastering course gives you an understanding of the concepts and techniques used in modern audio mixing. You'll study professional recordings, learn to recognize the sonic characteristics and elements of professional mixes and apply them in a practical workstation environment. You’ll also learn the principles of mastering and the preparation of material for commercial release.
All course materials are included and accessible in the Brightspace (D2L) learning platform from a classroom/lab computer. You’ll need to bring one USB stick (minimum 32GB) and one pair of closed-back, plug-in headphones (1/8-inch / 3.5mm jack) for use in class throughout the program.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date.
Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- evaluate the elements of a successful mix through ear training and critical listening
- prepare a mix combining MIDI, virtual instruments and recorded audio
- optimize balance, levels and gain structure
- understand and apply dynamic effects and equalization
- understand and apply reverberation and delay
- apply additional special effects and automation
- discuss and demonstrate surround audio and Dolby Atmos
- export a final mix and master in multiple formats for audio, streaming and video.
There are two assignments for this course. Most of this coursework will be completed during class time. 100% punctuality, attendance and participation in all classes on campus is required for an optimal learning and job-ready experience.
To request a course outline, contact ConEdAdvising@sait.ca
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of A- or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge.
AUDI-011 Digital Sound is a mandatory prerequisite for this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Audio Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses