Want to learn how studio design and acoustic principles are used to optimize the recording process? This 24-hour course gives you in-depth, practical applications of basic audio skills, focusing on studio design, acoustics and content creation. Gain hands-on experience in studio and remote recording as you study modern audio and MIDI production techniques for both video and music.
All course materials are included and accessible in the Brightspace (D2L) learning platform from a classroom/lab computer. You’ll need to bring one USB stick (minimum 32GB) and one pair of closed-back, plug-in headphones (1/8-inch / 3.5mm jack) for use in class throughout the program.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date.
Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- design and budget a home studio suitable for modern music and media production
- set up and record an audio project integrating MIDI, audio and virtual instruments
- choose and position a variety of appropriate microphones for acoustic instruments
- create a voice-over recording for editing and mixing with music and sound effects
- evaluate various studio and broadcasting microphone types and applications
- solve common audio problems using a stereo audio editor
- record location audio using various portable digital systems
- apply modern and traditional production techniques for vocal and instrumental music.
There are five assignments for this course. Most of this coursework will be completed during class time. 100% punctuality, attendance and participation in all classes on campus is required for an optimal learning and job-ready experience.
To request a course outline, contact ConEdAdvising@sait.ca
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of A- or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge.
AUDI-011 Digital Sound is a mandatory prerequisite for this course.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Digital Audio Certificate of Achievement : Required Courses