Dive into this 60-hour online course and learn with the support of an industry-experienced instructor about the fundamental characteristics and properties of CO2 and the implications for long-term carbon sequestration. You'll also explore regulations, approaches, technologies, site planning, modelling, monitoring, data analytics and verification. This course has been designed to upskill personnel to apply their skills and knowledge to the emerging field of Measurement, Monitoring and Verification (MMV) of sequestered carbon including those with experience in:
- subsurface and reservoir modelling and monitoring
- well planning
- data analytics
- regulatory reporting and compliance (TBC).
ENVS-015 is part of our Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) micro-credential series. The series is intended for upskilling energy services workers, engineers, geoscience professionals, operators, technologists or trades professionals.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date.
Upon successful completion of this course, you’ll be able to:
- describe the fundamental characteristics and properties of CO2 and implications for long-term under-ground carbon sequestration
- demonstrate an understanding of the regulations, principles and objectives associated with monitoring, measuring and verifying sequestered carbon emissions
- articulate the different approaches and technologies used for monitoring and measuring atmospheric, biospheric, hydrosphere, and geospheric conditions around underground carbon storage sites
- demonstrate an understanding of the dimensions required for carbon sequestration project and site-specific MMV plans including monitoring techniques to track the behaviour of injected CO2 and demonstrate containment
- describe the monitoring techniques used to track the behaviour of injected CO2 and demonstrate containment
- describe how to conduct data analytics to verify that CO2 sequestration sites are conforming to regulatory permits
- describe emissions accounting and reporting requirements.
You’ll demonstrate your skill and knowledge acquisition through quizzes, written assignments and exams. This online course is structured and guided. All coursework must be completed as per the course schedule and no later than the course end date.
To request a course outline, contact ConEdAdvising@sait.ca.
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of A- or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge. Learn more.
A qualified talent pool is required to increase the scalability and affordability of CCS as a pathway to net zero. Workers who know how to design, construct, operate and maintain CCS infrastructure are needed.
If you are working in the oil and gas industry with experience in subsurface and reservoir modeling and monitoring, geoscience, well planning and completions, data analytics or regulatory reporting and compliance, this course will be beneficial to you as you expand your knowledge and expertise for a career in the emerging field of MMV of sequestered carbon in Canada.
This course will also be valuable for anyone seeking to better understand MMV of sequestered carbon and its implications for Canada to meet net-zero goals.
You must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time you start this course. There are no other admission requirements (academic and/or work experience).
ENVS 011 Introduction to Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) is a mandatory prerequisite for this course.
For a limited time, tuition (including the tech fee) is fully funded by Canadian Colleges for Resilient Recovery (C2R2) for ENVS-015 and all other courses in our Carbon Capture and Storage (CSS) micro-credentials series. Choose a course section in the series that has a start and end date that is before March 31, 2024.
All course materials are included and accessible in the Brightspace (D2L) learning platform on the course start date.
We recommend registering as soon as possible (7–14 days in advance of the course start date).
To self-serve register online:
Related courses and programs:
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) Certificate of Completion : Elective Courses