PERS 021 - Mental Health for the Trades
Mental health issues in trades jobs are prevalent and can significantly impact the well-being of workers. This self-directed seven-hour online course will help you explore the unique challenges workers face in trades jobs and give you strategies to promote mental health and well-being in the workplace. Designed and delivered with our training partner, headversity, this course was made possible thanks to funding by the Government of Alberta.
There are seven micro-lessons covered including Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health 101, Understanding Stress, Anti-Stigma, Substance Use and Mood Disorders, Dealing with Disclosures, Suicide Care and Support. You’ll complete them in the headversity learning platform (app or web-based option) and follow that up with one final multiple-choice knowledge assessment in SAIT’s Brightspace (D2L) learning platform. You’ll have access to the course content and the help it provides for an extended time after course completion through headversity.
Note: Registration for this course closes two days before the course start date. Offered at no cost to you for this limited time in 2023, you’ll have up to one month from the course start date to complete the course.
The Province of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support programs and services.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- understand common mental health concerns in trades jobs, such as stress, anxiety and depression
- identify signs and symptoms of mental health issues in oneself and others
- promote psychological safety and open communication in the workplace
- provide mental health support and resources for yourself and coworkers
- have a baseline knowledge to build resilience and coping strategies for managing stress and challenging situations.
Earn a SAIT micro-credential
This course qualifies for the SAITMicro - headversity co-branded badge. Students who successfully complete this course with a final grade of A- or higher will earn a micro-credential and receive a shareable digital badge. Learn more